Book Review: Devoured by Anna Mackmin

Devoured

Devoured by Anna Mackmin
Published by Propolis
ISBN: 978-0992946067


1973. Swallow's Farmhouse in deep, rural Norfolk is home to Your People, a commune of free-thinkers and poets seeking a better way. But beneath the veneer of a nurturing, alternative lifestyle, an atmosphere of jealousy and threat is pushing utopia towards the brink of its inevitable collapse. Raising herself amidst the chaos is a twelve year old survivor, desperately preoccupied with her transition into womanhood. With her mute sister, beloved dog and the re-defining force of her emerging appetites, she marches resolutely towards her future, venturing - with hilarious and horrifying results - through the minefield of an adult world built on hypocrisy and misplaced ideals.

Devoured is Theatre Director's Anna Mackmin's first novel. Mackmin herself was raised in a commune in Norfolk during the 70s and, although most of the events in Devoured were made up, she does share some similarities with Bo, the narrator of the book.
Published by Propolis, a local-to-me publishers from The Book Hive in Norwich.

I was a bit nervous about purchasing this book. Reviews I've read have been pretty much split down the middle - half hating it and half who think it's a work of genius.
But I'm definitely in the latter camp - I thought it was utter brilliance. One of my favourite reads this year.

It did take me several pages to get in sync with the writing style. But then, it flowed beautifully, despite the almost freestyle stream-of-consciousness, yet punctured and staccato, writing.


Devoured is both horrifying and humorous at the same time. I hated every single adult character but loved the children, 'Nearly Thirteen' Bo, the book's narrator, her mute younger sister Star and the boys from the Erpingham Commune, Wolfie and Orion. These two sets of commune children meet after a letter arrives from Children's Services demanding evidence of formal education (which of course, the children have none). The adults form the short-lived (half a day) Rainbow School which looks like it could be carried off until the adults start ripping each other apart in front of the inspector. 

The adults sift their way through their numerous oft-spouted ideologies, picking out the bits that serve them best at any given moment, discarding whatever doesn’t fit their selfish needs. 
The Mother Beth, is particularly odious. Swallow's Farmhouse was bought with Daddy's money and it's all "My House" and "My Children" and "My Work" until she can't be arsed and then it's a case of "Fuck off, Mummy's working".
The girl's father "Don't call me Daddy" Anthony is just as self-absorbed and as schizophrenic with his child care "Get off me Leave me alone. I'm busy. I don't need you now".

Devoured was set in my neck of the woods, so for me there was that thrill of local recognition. I haven’t come across any ‘Your People’ style communes whilst living in North Norfolk. But I couldn’t help but liken some of the same self-entitlement to the current wave of London second-homers who pepper our North Norfolk coastal and inland villages buying up fisherman's cottages and reclaiming the old ways and finding ways to monetise its quaint and odd culture. The locals are happy for the incomers to buy the samphire - they're just wondering when and where the first McDonalds is going to open!

My eyeballs ached from so much eye-rolling at the adult’s hypocrisy, self-obsession and sense of entitlement. I cringed and withered at the abuse that Bo endured with no interference or saviour in the form of a responsible adult. But I also laughed out loud regularly. Highlights include Bo's Menstruation Party (including a feast of red-themed Menstruation Munchies) and the Local Poet's evening. To gain entry, the children quickly whip up their own poetry - Star's 'Baked Beans Ingredients' poems and Bo's seemingly more sinister and telling 'Him There".

That Bo and Star are responsible for cooking for the adults of the commune is no surprise. But Bo seems really very adept at cooking and baking. Most of the gatherings involve feasts cooked by Bo and throughout the book, recipes are included. Several of which I'm actually going to try out.

Of course, everything falls apart (no spoilers) but the commune slowly disbands and we end with Bo in a Summerhill - style educational facility. End of her childhood? Or maybe a chance to reclaim some of it?
I heard that Anna Mackmin might be writing a follow-up book. I really do hope so as I'd love to hear more from Bo and Star, and even the repellent adult characters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Skincare Routine - May

Flower Beauty ~ Light Illusion Foundation ~ First Impressions

Thyme Out Review