COSRX 96 Snail Mucin 96 Power Essence Review

 
COSRX Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence
£18.00 for 100ml BUY HERE

The COSRX 96 Snail Mucin stands out in the Korean Skincare revolution as one of the most iconic products - so it was for this reason I decided it had to be included in my skincare line-up when I first started the 'journey'.
 
This is my first bottle, and, as you can see, it's still not empty. In fact, I'm struggling to finish it off as part of a #projectuseitup. It's always a tiny bit disconcerting, after getting your hands on an iconic and well-loved skincare product, to find that you can't quite see what all the fuss is about...
 
It's not so much the idea, or even the texture of actual snail mucin on my face - I've not got a problem with any of that (although I am starting to doubt some of the claims of cruelty-free snail mucin harvesting). In fact, it was probably some of the (then) bizarre ingredients in Korean Skincare which partly drew me in - donkey milk, snail mucin, bee sting, snake venom and even more recently - spider web silk and meteorite dust (in the same product! And yes, I was highly tempted!).

 

 

What's it for? Who is it for?
 
The essence has 96% of snail secretion filtrate and it's main targets are for intense hydration and repair. Suitable for all skin types. You can use it for dry patches, acne, skin irritation and even hyperpigmentation. It's unscented and has a P.H Level of 6.5.
 
Scent and Texture
 
Unscented and, if this is the thing that will make you feel a bit icky, it feels just how you imagine snail mucin will feel - a little bit slimy and a little bit sticky. Does it feel gross on your skin? Well I think that depends on how you feel knowing what's in the ingredients. I'm a terribly squeamish person, and in particular, I have an aversion to things that are pappy, gooey or jelly-like when they shouldn't be (mostly in relation to foods but it can extend to skincare). But despite this, I have zero problems with the texture of this essence - my only issue with the texture is that it can leave a faintly sticky residue and doesn't entirely absorb into my skin.

 
 
Application
 
If you're new to using several layers of skincare in a routine, it can feel quite daunting about whereabouts a particular product fits into where in your routine.
I always use the general rule of thumb:
 
From thinnest to thickest - From watery to Creamy to Oily.
 
It's advised that you use the COSRX Snail Mucin 96 Power Essence after cleansing and toning, apply a small amount on your entire face, massaging in to problem areas. Gently pat using fingertips to aid absorption, and then follow on with your serums and moisturizers. 
 
Thoughts
 
When I initially bought this (and had fewer items in my skincare routine) I would use this both in my morning and evening routines. However, as I introduced more targeted and specific products into my routine, I found that this was called upon less and less, and eventually found it's way back into the depths of my drawers, where I would sometimes spot it and think "I really should use his up".  In the early days, it fit well into my routines, although on it's own, I couldn't see any evidence that it had any particularly vital role. I would use it when I had itchy bumps on my jawline and it undoubtedly used to soothe and 'heal' that kind of skin irritation. But for me personally, it just got superseded by other products with more specific targets. I can't attest to it's efficacy as an acne treatment as that's something I don't have issues with (but maybe then again, by using products like this, maybe that's why I don't have an issue with acne!).
 
I still feel that there's definitely a place for a product that aims to repair and soothe irritated skin, because whatever the usual condition of your skin, you are bound to come across irritations and upsets quite frequently. But for me, I aim to replace with a new product I've seen called 'Thyme Out' (a basic tincture made of Thyme). Who knows? Maybe I'll miss this when it's gone. But for the time being, I'm going to file this under 'Everyone else loves it but me'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Skincare Routine - May

Flower Beauty ~ Light Illusion Foundation ~ First Impressions

Thyme Out Review