D.I.Y - Make Your Own Cushion Foundation

 
I cannot claim ownership of this fantastic idea. I am merely copying an idea that I saw on Instagram (@memyreview) a couple of weeks ago!
 
 
I only own one cushion foundation (the Holika Holika Gudetama cushion foundation) and I really like the idea of them, but the one I own is a shade too light for me. I also like the idea of taking an old foundation and adding to it to make it more wearable.
Making your own cushion foundation is great for this as it's obviously far too labour-intensive to go mixing several different products just to make your daily foundation. This way, you can make up small bespoke mixtures at a time - which is more hygienic, and also means that you can tweak your 'recipe' as needed.
 
 
Please note: I hadn't previously practised the following procedure, so any mistakes and thoughts will be noted in the directions below!
 
 
So, first things first. You'll need an empty cushion foundation compact.
You can either clean up and re-use an old one, or if you don't have one spare, you can buy new empty compacts online.
 
 
 
I bought this on eBay. It did come from China, which I know can be a bit hit or miss, but this seller actually shipped really quickly (it took just under two weeks to get to the UK from China), it was sturdy and not 'cheap looking'. Plus it was cheap - just £2.75 including shipping.
 
 
The compact comes in four parts - the main casing (with mirror in lid); the foundation casing with lid; foundation sponge and applicator sponge.
 
Ingredients
 
 
* Mixing bowl
* Spatula
* Foundation
* Lightener (optional)
* Sun Screen
* Facial Oil (optional)
* Illuminator (optional)
 
Step One
 
 
1. Pour some of your chosen foundation into a mixing bowl.
If I were to do this again, I would have added a little bit more at this first stage!
I chose this foundation as it's a little bit too dark for me and I've just not been reaching for it as much. It's a gamble choosing a foundation that's not one of your best, but I wanted to see if this would work and I didn't mind sacrificing this foundation!
 
Step Two * (optional)
 
 
2. Add some lightener (optional)
If your chosen foundation is a good shade match, you probably won't need to do this. Mine is too dark. I don't own any foundation lightener but this Body Shop BB cream is too light for my skin tone, so I was hoping it would act as a lightener.
 
 
Step Three
 
 
3. Mix together each time a new product is added.
 
Step Four
 
 
4. Add illuminator (optional)
The illuminator I chose turned out to be almost the same colour as my mix. I chose this as it's one of the products I've been wanting to use up. But next time, I think I'll go for a lighter colour illuminator.
I'm guessing you could swap an illuminator for some liquid bronzer if you wanted to darken up or add a touch of colour to your foundation mix.
Mix together.
 
Step Five
 
 
5. Add SPF
I'd say this was a pretty essential step. The Kiko Foundation already had an SPF 15 but I added a squirt of SPF50 to feel more protected.
Mix together.
 
 
Keep mixing!
 
Step Six
 
 
6. Add a couple of drops of facial oil (optional)
I chose to add Squalane as I know that it's a nice dry oil and sinks in well. Another option I'd choose is Rosehip Seed Oil, but I'm guessing any would do. This is particularly helpful if your chosen foundation is quite thick in texture.

Mix together.
 
Step Seven
 
 
7. Transfer half of your mixture to cushion foundation
Spread it around the base of your cushion compact with the spatula.
 
Step Eight
 
 
8. Place the foundation cushion on top of the foundation mixture.
 
Step Nine
 
 
9. Place the remaining foundation mixer on top of the foundation cushion.
Note: I actually didn't have enough mixture left to fully cover the foundation cushion and I did have to add a bit more foundation to the top to cover it!
 
Step Ten
 
 
10. Re-assemble your cushion foundation compact.
That's it! You're done!
 
How's it going for ya?
 
 
I am absolutely chuffed with the way this turned out! It's turned a mediocre foundation into a really usable bespoke foundation!
All the issues I had with the original Kiko foundation have now been resolved with this bespoke mix.
I think the addition of other products has made this much more wearable - it's no longer sticking to dry patches or sinking into my pores and the illuminator has given it a touch of dewiness.
 
The only thing I did change from the end result was to use a damp beauty blender for application as I felt that the little sponge applicator that came with the compact was not of great quality and I didn't enjoy using it as an applicator.
 
But overall, I'm delighted with the end result and will definitely continue to do this with any foundations that aren't my favourite.
 
Overall cost - £2.75 (since I already owned all the extra products).
 
 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Skincare Routine - May

Flower Beauty ~ Light Illusion Foundation ~ First Impressions

Thyme Out Review