Nudge Boutique - Shampoo Tablets


Nudge Boutique - Shampoo Tablets

What is it?
A range of solid shampoo tablets made from 100% plant-based natural ingredients. 
The Orange & Shikaki and the Geranium & Lavender are suitable for normal/dry hair. Whilst the Rosemary & Peppermint is suitable for oily/combination hair.
The bars are not made from soap and perform just as a liquid shampoo would.

Orange & Shikaki Shampoo Tablets Ingredients
Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Cocos Nucifera Fruit Powder, Aqua, Coco-Glucoside, Glyceryl Oleate, Glycerin, Parfum* (Orange essential oil blend), Isoamyl Laurate, Isoamyl Cocoate, Acacia Concinna Fruit Powder, Theobroma Cacao Seed Powder, Benzyl Alcohol, Salicylic Acid, Sorbic Acid, Citral, Limonene, Linalool
* Perfume: Orange Essential Oil blend (10 fold - a blend of essential oils and natural aroma components).

For ingredients for the other shampoo tablets, click here.





Packaging
The main reason that I want to introduce this type of shampoo into my hair care routine is because of the Zero Waste packaging.
Absolutely plastic free, the tablets are wrapped in compostable recycled tissue paper. The paper label is recyclable. The cellulose clear adhesive is made in the UK from cellulosed (plant-based) plastic. It is fully biodegradable and compostable, including the adhesive.

Storage
Nudge Boutique recommend that between each use, you store your shampoo tablet either in one of their Bamboo Shampoo Bags or between a clean and dry facial cloth to avoid the tablet become soggy and to eliminate wastage.
I have been storing mine in a metal lidded tin (previous life as a body butter tin) so it doesn't get wet and I can also travel with it.



Application
Fully drench your hair under running water and then use the shampoo tablet as you would a soap bar - rub it over your scalp and then work the lather into the lengths of your hair.

Me and My Hair
Hair type: Very long, very thick and dyed.
Greasy at roots - very dry at ends.

First - a brief bit of background:
In the last few months I've been noticing that I'm losing more hair than usual when I comb out my hair after washing it. I'm putting this down to yet another peri-menopausal symptom. It's been distressing - all these symptoms have been making me feel 'undone'.
This led to a feeling of almost hair-washing-phobia. I was dreading washing my hair because I didn't want to see how much was coming out.

A second bit of background:
I have previously tried shampoo bars and I'm embarrassed to admit that I gave up each time almost instantly! I really, really didn't like how my hair would actually look and feel worse after washing. Although I knew there was to be an expected 'transition period', I couldn't stand the way that my hair looked and felt during that period so never attempted to get past that stage. Plus I found the Apple Cider Vinegar rinse a bit of a nightmare. I don't feel it helped to rid my hair of residue, and not only that, my hair smelt strongly of vinegar afterwards, however diluted the rinse was. Not to mention the streaming eyes from the vinegar fumes whilst rinsing. This was not nice at all!
Unfortunately, I realised too late, that the bars I had been trying were actually soap-based shampoos. I think I just assumed that all shampoo bars were soap-based - I didn't research it properly. So it's not at all surprising, on hindsight, that my hair felt so heavy, sticky, greasy, lank and laden after using these.




Thoughts

Given my reticence in wanting to risk trying a shampoo bar again after past experiences together with my hair-washing anxiety, the bar was set high for trying out the Nudge Boutique Shampoo Tablets.
Two things swayed me into buying these bars.
Firstly, I'm such a fan of Nudge Boutique. I've tried every one of their products and each and every one has become a lasting favourite for me. So, I trust Jo's products as I have experience with them and know that they are top quality and give really great results.
After seeing a review of the Shampoo Tablets from another Beauty Blogger that I also trust implicitly, Emma at Beauty Folio, I was eager to try them for myself.
I contacted Jo at Nudge Boutique and mentioned my worries and she, without pressure or hard sell, explained the differences between her Shampoo Tablets and the types of Shampoo Bars I'd previously tried.

So finally! On to my thoughts...

Lather - My expectations of a lathering shampoo may be a hangover from using your basic chemical-laden High Street shampoos, but, I do like a shampoo that lathers. I can't shake the equation that lather = clean (even if that's wrong!). So I was so happy that the Nudge Boutique Shampoo Tablets lathered beautifully. 

Rinsing - don't expect that your hair will feel squeaky clean after rinsing as you might have come to expect (as did I) after using High Street brand shampoos.
On first use I was slightly worried that my hair didn't feel clean after rinsing (because it wasn't squeaking).
This worry was quickly and completely eliminated after the first use - my hair was clearly clean, with no residue, super soft and very, very glossy. I was delighted. 



Ergonomic Design - The shampoo tablets are perfectly shaped for easy, ergonomic use. They fit the palm of the hand just right when lathering up on your hair and even when they start to shrink through use, I like how they stay solid meaning that I don't lose any product unnecessarily down the plug hole!

Duration of each bar - Depending on your hair, each tablet should last between 10-30 washes. Now, bear in mind that I have very long and thick hair and I like a LOT of lather, I may well use more of the tablet on each wash than your average user. I ended up getting approx 15-17 uses from one bar. So that's about four weeks of usage from one bar, costing just £2.75 (cheaper still if you buy more than one) - excellent value for money.

'Transition Period' - The best thing about the shampoo tablets and to my utter relief - there is NO Transition Period. From the very first use, my hair felt exactly as it did after using liquid shampoo. No adjustment, no transition - NO DIFFERENCE!

I loved how easy it was to use the shampoo tablets. It was a relief that they were so user friendly after I'd built up such a poor opinion on solid shampoo from previous experience.
I also loved that there was absolutely no compromise in choosing this type of shampoo. My hair feels and looks soft and shiny and it stays clean for the same amount of time as it ever did between washes.
I wondered if I would try these shampoo tablets out, review them and then go back to my regular choice of shampoo. But since using the Nudge Boutique shampoo tablets I don't actually want to use anything else now. I plan on stocking up on these tablets by buying four at a time to take advantage of the multi-buy discount.
All in all, I'm absolutely delighted to have tried out the shampoo tablets and after using them, am even more delighted that my previously held negative thoughts have been proved completely unfounded!


Not sure which shampoo bar is best suited for your hair type? Read Nudge Boutique's informative blog post about choosing the most suitable shampoo bar for your needs.

Comments

  1. You wrote a useful blog on the how to adopt plastic free products. We can relate to your blog as we, Friendly Turtle is a plastic-free and zero-waste shop in the UK, selling and delivering eco-friendly and sustainable products all over the UK.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Skincare Routine - May

Flower Beauty ~ Light Illusion Foundation ~ First Impressions

Thyme Out Review