Ishtar Skinlights - 2.5% Bioactive Retinol Review



Ishtar Skinlights - Bioactive 2.5%  Retinol Serum
£15.00 for 30ml. BUY HERE.

What is it?

A 2.5% microencapsulated Retinol serum with Rovisome.
Retinol is the purest and most active form of vitamin A. It sustains collagen, reduces wrinkles and improves skin texture.


Rovisomes are a type of liposome. They encapsulate pure retinol in a natural phospholipid (leciithin)  shell. The retinol molecule is released in the skin. This represents the most effective and potent way of delivering retinol to the skin so far developed in skincare.

Also contains Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans - This natural polysaccharide delivers fantastic hydration benefits. In the world of skincare it can be thought of as second generation hyaluronic acid. Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans are readily accepted into the skin because of their positive charge. They hydrate and improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.


Ingredients:
Aqua, Isopentydiol, Spilanthes Acmella Flower (Gatuline) Extract, Glycerin, Opuntia Ficus-Indica Flower (Prickly Pear) Extract, Caesalpinia Spinosa Gum, Retinol, Polysorbate 20, Pentylene Glycol, Lecithin, Hydrolized Glycosaminoglycans, Benzyl Alcohol, Dehydroacetic Acid, Sorbic Acid, Alcohol, Benzoic acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenethyl Alcohol, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate.


Scent and Texture:
Clear runny gel texture. No particular scent but does have a faint 'cosmeceutical' smell.
Application:
Best used in a nightly routine but if used in the day it is essential to use with SPF sunscreen. Can be used every night - results will increase with prolonged usage.
This has really good slip so one pump should be enough to cover your face and neck.



Thoughts

Grab a cup of tea - I have plenty of thoughts on this one!

I've been using Retinol for about two and a half years now and couldn't consider it not being a part of my skincare routine. It's one of those products that you can't pinpoint exactly what it's doing for your skin but that you know is responsible for hugely positive changes since using it. 
Despite careening towards fifty years of age, my skin has actually looked so much better in the past couple of years. It's not that I want to reverse time and necessarily look younger, but I'm obviously happy that my skin looks healthier, happier and clearer than it has done in years. My aims of having a natural glow to my complexion has been achieved and all the other notable 'signs of aging' seem to have been held in check. I think that's what the Retinol does.

I started off with The Ordinary 2% Retinol, but only used to use it a couple of times a week, so results were minimal. I then discovered Ishtar Skinlights, who have fast become one of my favourite brands ever for their innovative range of  products which are based on natural ingredients but with the addition of active ingredients. 
I dutifully started with the Ishtar Skinlights 1% Bioactive Retinol  (read my review of that here), but again, used it for just 2-3 times a week (I was too busy playing around with too many other actives and acids to use it nightly). I say dutifully, because it's always advisable to build up the strength of Retinol that you use gradually. However, I'm confident enough to say that if you've ever used Retinol products before, I wouldn't hesitate in starting off with the 2.5% Bioactive Retinol.

It's wise to remember that all skins are different and that YMMV, BUT, I have never, ever, ever had a single moment of irritation using either the 1% or 2.5% Bioactive Retinol from Ishtar Skinlights. However, if you are at all concerned what is best for your own personal use, I would recommend contacting Ishtar Skinlights, who are always on hand for personalised advice (it's another thing I love about them!).

As soon as I started using the 2.5% Bioactive Retinol it felt instantly that this was where I was supposed to be. I also started to use it almost every night ( 6 out of 7 nights). Again, absolutely no irritation or sensitivity and certainly none of that 'Retinol Peel' that I hear about almost with every mention of Retinol.

It's incredibly easy to bring Retinol into your nightly routine. As with every single Ishtar Skinlights product that I've tried, the Retinol fits seamlessly in my routine because it plays so well with all the other products I use. There's no tacky residue, it doesn't make other products pill, it absorbs brilliantly.

My nightly routine works like this: 1. Double Cleanse; 2. Tone; 3. Hydrating Serum; 4. 2.5% Retinol; 5. Facial Oil; 6. Night time moisturiser or overnight sleeping pack or treatment.



Busting those Retinol Myths!

I've even used this in the same routine as Vitamin C without any major drama unfolding! Opinion seems to mostly veer on the side of 'don't use Vit C and Retinol' together. But there are some that say that they actually work brilliantly together and can actually boost each other's powers. (See this article from Paula's Choice). Ishtar Skinlights own advice is to leave a 20 minute gap between applying Vitamin C and Retinol (which I do). So I feel confident about using these two products in the same routine.

Ishtar Skinlight retinol products can also be used alongside their Mandelic/Glycolic acid products. Research shows that using a retinol product in conjunction with an Alpha Hydroxy Acid exfoliant significantly improves its effectiveness in treating sun-damaged skin. It is advisable to wait 15-20 mins after applying any acid product.

Repurchase?

Absolutely YES!
With other products, I do find that I'm constantly eyeing up the 'next thing' - what else is out there? Will be better than what I'm using already? But, in the 2.5% Bioactive Retinol, I've found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and am not even remotely interested in trying another product. 
If it ain't broke...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Skincare Routine - May

Flower Beauty ~ Light Illusion Foundation ~ First Impressions

Thyme Out Review