Alexa Sky Botanicals - Alpine Cellular Complex Brightening Eye Balm Review

Alexa Sky Botanicals -Alpine Cellular Complex Brightening Eye Balm
£26.50 for 19g BUY HERE
  
What is it?
Our Brightening Eye Balm is the perfect blend of skin loving ingredients to nourish, smooth, protect, help reduce puffiness and improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Handmade with light reflecting particles to help conceal and brighten dark under eye shadows. Suitable for all skin types.

Ingredients:
Sunflower seed oil, Arnica montana flower extract, Calendula flower extract,  Avocado fruit oil, Beeswax, Cucumber fruit oil, Macadamia nut oil, Mango seed butter, Silica. Lavender and Chamomile essential oils. 



Packaging:
Comes in a dark brown glass jar with a black plastic lid. Also comes with a mini plastic spatula so you can scoop the product out without having to use your fingers.

Scent and Texture:
You can choose a scented or unscented version of the balm - I opted for the scented.
The balm has a very light calming Lavender scent. It's not at all overpowering but just gentle enough to give you a feeling of well-being.
Classic oil-based balm texture with a sunny yellow colour.



Application:
Scoop out a tiny grain-sized amount of balm with the provided spatula (a little goes a long way). In your morning routine, pat the balm on the delicate under eye area using the pads of your ring fingers. Avoid the eye lids.

Thoughts:
Alexandra, the founder of Alexa Sky Botanicals, very kindly sent me a sample of this after seeing me mention on Twitter what trouble I'd been having with my eyes watering in the evening and how my usual eye creams had been making that situation worse.
After just a short while of using the sample I knew that I needed to buy a full size straight as soon as possible!

I'd never heard of an eye balm before and to be honest, I would have assumed that such a balm would be far too heavy to wear during the day. How wrong could I be?!
Let's cut to the chase - this balm has completely turned my eye care routine on its head and I finally feel like I've found the perfect products.

What first comes to mind when I think of an oil-based balm is a product that gets called upon for all those super-tough jobs like dry patches on elbows and knees. I never would have thought that the delicate under eye area would be something that could benefit from such a product. Turns out that it's an absolutely ideal texture for the under eye area!



At the age of 48, I absolutely need to use eye care products twice a day. I've not got excessive lines, dark circles or bags under my eyes, but my under eye area can feel dehydrated without product and this is something which really shows when wearing makeup. I've found that most concealers sink into the fine lines under my eyes and actually exaggerates the lines, making them look far worse than they do without makeup. But even though I don't particularly have hugely noticeable dark circles, I still feel happier with some under eye concealer, just to brighten that area up. As of yet, I hadn't really come across an ideal solution.

I had been using an under eye primer which helped to hydrate my eye area enough so that concealer didn't look too cake-y. But this felt more like a quick 'patch-up' solution, rather than a product that actually worked on problems related to my eye area.

The Brightening Eye Balm contains silica, so as well as leaving my under eyes hydrated, it also instantly brightens the area, leaving my eyes looking a lot more awake and healthy. I like this instant brightening so much that I often dab a bit of the balm on the top of my cheekbones too, which gives me a lovely natural-looking highlighted radiance.



So, how does this balm manage to make the skin under my eyes so much more alert, brighter and tighter?

One of the key ingredients is Arnica Flower Oil
I've kept Arnica in my family medicine cabinet for years now to relieve sprains, strains and bruising. So actually it makes perfect sense that it would be an ideal inclusion in an eye care product. As an anti-inflammatory, Arnica Flower Oil acts to disperse trapped fluids.
 It does this by stimulating the activity of white blood cells to relieve congestion, thereby reducing under-eye bags. When it disperses some of the red blood cells pooled beneath the thin under-eye skin, dark circles can disappear, too. 

Cucumber slices as cooling and soothing d.i.y eye masks have been a beauty favourite since time, so the inclusion of Cucumber fruit oil in the eye balm is somewhat akin to relaxing with cooling slices on your eyes as you go about your daily business!
Another anti-inflammatory, Cucumber fruit oil improves moisture retention so reduces puffy eyes instantly. It's also high in Oleic acid which makes it a powerful antioxidant which can help in preventing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.

Macadamia nut oil has a high content of Omega 6,7 and 9 essential fatty acids, so this is where the hydration and moisturising properties come into play, as it helps to restore the skin's barrier function.
  Avocado fruit oil is also full of fatty acids and vitamin C, B, K, magnesium and phosphorus - my skin feels instantly nourished.
And rounding up this trio of skin food is Mango butter. It contains high amounts of vitamin A and C which brighten the skin and works towards reducing fine lines.

I love that the eye balm gives me instantaneous relief but also includes ingredients which will help address issues with my under eye area over time too. I much prefer this to eye cream - it's just so much easier to use and wear and gives me faster positive results compared with an eye cream. The fact that it doubles up as an under eye primer is a complete bonus too!
I'm delighted to have found this little miracle worker - it will always have a place in my daily skincare routine.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Skincare Routine - May

Flower Beauty ~ Light Illusion Foundation ~ First Impressions

Thyme Out Review