Pixi Retinol Tonic Review

 
 
Pixi by Petra - Retinol Tonic
RRP 100ml £10/ 250ml £18.00

What is it?
This potent youth preserving tonic features a unique time-release Retinol to help rejuvenate the skin for a natural glow. Powerful antioxidants and botanicals replenish the skin for a smoother, softer appearance while soothing sensitive skin.(From the Pixi website)
 

 
Ingredients:
 Aqua/Water/Eau, Rosemarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Water, Glycerin, Propanediol, Methyl Gluceth-20, PEG-8, Panthenol, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Lecithin, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Flower Extract, Hibiscus Rosa-Sinensis Flower Extract, Sodium Acrylates Copolymer, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-27, Hydroxypropyl Cyclodextrin, Retinol, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Jasminum Officinale (Jasmine) Flower/Leaf Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Eugenia Caryophyllus (Clove) Flower Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Sodium Citrate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Polysorbate 20, Ethylhexylglycerin.
 
Packaging:
Purple plastic bottle with Pixi's signature pale green plastic screw top lid. The bottle has a plastic stopper with an opening which lets the right amount of product out.
 
Scent & Texture:
Watery, with very faint lavender and jasmine scent.

 
 Application:
Applied liberally to a cotton pad and then swept over my entire face and neck, avoiding the eye area. Use after cleansing a.m and p.m. Always use SPF if using in your morning routine.
 
Thoughts:
I initially started to use this infrequently in my routine. For instant results, my skin felt a lot smoother, but this was the only instant benefit.
So to give it a good testing period I have kept it in my morning and evening routines (omitting to use it if I was using an acid treatment in my evening routine as well) and using it much more consistently.
As a slow-release retinol, it's hard to quantify exactly how well this works as a retinol product over time, especially considering that I also use Ishtar Skinlights 2.5% Retinol serum several nights a week alongside this toner. The amount of retinol in this product is not actually noted.

I'm guessing that this toner is going to be appealing to newcomers to Retinol and those who are put off by the irritation, flakiness and dryness that some stronger Retinol products can cause (although I personally do not experience any of those side effects using my preferred Retinol from Ishtar Skinlights).

This certainly is a very gentle and soothing toner yet at the same time is slightly exfoliating. Agreed, this sounds a contradiction, but it's great to see that such products do exist which exfoliate without being too harsh, abrasive or too chemically strong.

Compared with other toners
I use toners for a multitude of reasons:
 *As a morning cleanse - I wouldn't use the Pixi Retinol Tonic for this purpose as I'd consider this more as a treatment toner.
* For hydration - I would place this somewhere in the middle region in terms of a hydrating toner. My skin is certainly left feeling hydrated and freshened but if more than ten minutes is left between using this between the next (serum) step in my routine, my skin starts to feel dry.
* For clarifying - If I had to choose to bracket this toner, it feels more like a clarifying toner than a hydrating toner. But unlike some clarifying toners which can feel slightly astringent, this one is surprisingly gentle, soothing and cooling. It's an ideal mix.
* For Soothing - At the higher end of the 'soothing' scale. But as mentioned above, has some very mild exfoliation properties in that it brightens your skin.

Results
Other than skin smoothing and brightening, I haven't really noted any other benefits from longer-term and more consistent use. But that said, the results are enough for me to be interested in repurchasing. I haven't ever encountered a toner of this kind and out of the current range of Pixi Tonics - the Glow, the Rose and the Retinol - I would say that this has been my favourite so far.
Pixi have just released a new range which includes a Vitamin C Tonic and I'm very eager to try that next.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Skincare Routine - May

Flower Beauty ~ Light Illusion Foundation ~ First Impressions

Thyme Out Review