Strong Hair Heroes



I've got long, dyed, thick hair and LOTS of it! I always thought it was pretty healthy - except the ends could get very dry at times.
I've always had a degree of hair loss after brushing my hair (mostly after shampooing) and didn't think too much about it. But then a few months ago, I started to look at these 'nests' of hair that I'd remove from the brush or comb and wonder if maybe this wasn't so normal after all.
 
NB: NOT my actual hair!! This is actually horse hair, but you see what I mean by the nest comparison?
 
I've been calling the measurement of hair loss a 'nest' - because after brushing my hair and pulling out the hair from the brush or comb, I'd wrap it around my fingers to get it into a neat ball to throw away and started to notice that they look like mini birds nests!
So, 'nest' is the unit of measurement I'm sticking with for this review.
 
When first noticing that I lost an awful lot of hair after brushing, the nest was probably the size that a sweet little Dormouse might sleep in (maybe a wee exaggeration!).
So I googled 'How much hair loss is normal after brushing hair?' and several articles came up (mostly paraphrasing the exact same text as each other!). But this article was quite interesting. In a nutshell - the average woman loses 50-100 strands of hair a day, and possibly up to 150. So if my hair is long and thick, those lost strands are going to look quite a lot - my tiny nests maybe aren't quite so bad after all!
Another interesting 'test' mentioned to see if you're losing more hair than normal is to take about 60 hairs between your fingers and pull, running your fingers through your hair. Usually between five and eight hairs come out, which is apparently 'normal'. More than fifteen, and you might have a problem.
I only pulled one out after doing this test. Phew!
 
I spend an inordinate amount of time with my skincare, and a lot more recently with my body care, but hair care is an area that I've tended to overlook. So I decided to get a bit more pro-active.

Vee Beauty LDN - Hair & Scalp Nourishing Treatment Oil
100ml £18.95 BUY HERE
 
Timing was fortuitous when the October Skin Organics Beauty Box featured some of Vee Beauty LDN's Hair & Scalp Oil. I'd already known about this oil when it first came out, but I didn't think it was something that I needed. But when I started to think of my hair nests - this was the first product that came to mind, and the inclusion of it in the Skin Organics Clean Beauty Box really spurred me into positive action.

Ingredients
Vee Beauty LDN Hair & Scalp Nourishing Treatment Oil is a completely natural and organic blend of Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, Castor Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Hemp Seed Oil, Black seed Oil, Baobab Oil, Jojoba Oil, Argan oil, Rosemary Oil, Cedarwood Oil and Peppermint Oil. 

Application
The oil has a delicious peppermint smell - it reminds me of Fry's Peppermint Cream bars (one of my favourites) so it's certainly very pleasurable and relaxing scent-wise.
It's advised to use the pipette to apply the oil directly to scalp and massage in using deep slow circular motions. Bend head forward and massage the back of the scalp ensuring oil is saturated all over. Once oil is massaged in run through hair length and ends. 
I use this twice a week and leave on overnight. I like to take my time with application as it really is quite a nice pampering routine. I'll sit and massage it in whilst watching something good on television, this means that I give it a good time to completely work into my scalp and hair.
My hair absolutely drinks the oil up and by the time I go to bed I don't have to worry about making my pillow oily - the only thing that's left behind on my pillow is the gentle scent of peppermint.

Removal
As I go swimming very early most mornings, I also leave the oil on whilst I'm swimming (I figure this acts as a barrier against the swimming pool water!) and then just wash my hair as usual in the shower after swimming.
If you have regular hair then the oil and just shampoo may be all that your hair needs (rather than using conditioner too) but because my hair is so thick and long I do use a tiny bit of conditioner, just to help with de-tangling.
I've never needed to use any more than my usual shampoo and just one lot of shampoo has always sufficed, the oil doesn't leave a residue and washes out quite easily.
Combing my hair after my shower is much easier after using the oil and I notice that I have greatly reduced hair-loss (which was my main concern).
Certain conditioners and hair treatment can make the ends of my hair feel 'crispy' when dried - but this is not a problem I've ever had after using the oil.

Thoughts
I noticed results immediately after washing out the oil the next day in that my hair was glossier and more manageable. But I think the biggest results started showing 10 to 14 days after first use in that the amount of hair loss significantly decreased. My hair loss 'nests' had reduced in size by more than 50%.
My initial worries about using a hair oil on hair that tends to get greasy on the roots was absolutely unfounded - using this oil does NOT make my hair greasier. I can imagine that if you suffer from a dry/flaky scalp then this would be an extra bonus in seeing results, but as this is not something I have issues with, I cannot attest to that. I'm going on my general scalp and hair condition after using this and it's plain to see (and feel) that both are in better condition after using the oil than just using my regular shampoo/conditioner hair care routine.


 
Ingenious Beauty - Ultimate Collagen +
Travel Pack of 45 Capsules £23.99/90 Capsules £42.99
BUY HERE

This is my first ever encounter with beauty supplements and to be honest, at the price, I don't think I would have bought them had it not been for the chance to try them out as one of the Latest In Beauty monthly product choices. 
But there's been an awful lot of interest and mentions of these collagen capsules, with some reviewers bestowing them with miracle cures!

What are they all about?
It's all about the 'Power of Three' ! The capsules contain just three natural ingredients - . , marine collagen peptide, hyaluronan complex, and astaxanthin.
  Ingenious Beauty claim that you will see a  reduction in fine lines and wrinkles by up to 26% within just 10-20 days. But they also say that you will notice stronger nails and thicker hair after taking the capsules.
Click here to read the scientific reasoning behind these capsules.

When to take them
Take one to three collagen capsules before bed, preferably on an empty stomach.

Thoughts
I'm pleasantly surprised! I couldn't help but be slightly sceptical about these claims but there's no denying that I have seen a huge improvement in my hair strength and condition and a massive reduction in hair loss within 14 days of first use (alongside using the Vee Beauty LDN Hair & Scalp Oil).
I'm less sure just exactly how much they have done for my skin as I use a lot of products that also promise the same results - but my skin has been looking great since starting to take these capsules and I can only surmise that they have helped. But, when using various products simultaneously, it's obviously hard to pin-point what product is responsible!
As for nail strength - sadly, because of my own terrible habit of nail-biting, I can't attest to my nail condition or any improvement because I've currently nibbled my nails to near-nothing-ness!
So, yes - I'd be more than happy to recommend these capsules if you get the chance to try them. They are on the pricey side for me, but if I notice a slow-down or reversal in my hair/skin condition after these have run out then I would probably repurchase the larger size at full price.


* Please note: These links are not affiliated!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Skincare Routine - May

Flower Beauty ~ Light Illusion Foundation ~ First Impressions

Thyme Out Review