Unboxing ~ Look Fantastic Beauty Box May 2018

After last month's slightly disappointing offering, I was really hoping that Look Fantastic would kick it up a few notches for the May box.
Well? Did they manage it?

The Look Fantastic monthly beauty box is £15.00 per month (free P+P) - Subscribe HERE


Box Design Score: 4/5
I think the bright orange lid is gorgeous - not so keen on the orange and pink as two colours that work together though! But this is such a happy colour - it feels like the promise of what's to come inside should be good.

 
Free latest copy of Elle Magazine and the accompanying Look Fantastic booklet.

 
The reveal!
Excitement Score: 3/5

 
1. Avant - RNA Serum
Excitement Score: 4/5
Here's a brand I've never heard of before so am excited to try. At first glance, this appeared to have the longest product name I've ever seen - but then I can see it's a list of the main properties -  Arginine, Malto Dextrin,Trehalose, Ubiquinone, Mannitol, Histidine Hcl, Niacinamide and Urea.
It's advised that this serum should be used after cleansing, toning and/or exfoliation.
After looking this product up online I was pretty shocked to see that 30ml of this serum will set you back £104!! Making this tiny 5ml sample worth around a whopping £17.00!
 

 
2. Eyeko - Eye Do Liquid Eyeliner
Excitement Score: 3/5
Performance Score: 5/5
 
I do like Eyeko - they make one of my favourite mascaras (Lash Alert) BUT I wasn't the most excited to see another eyeliner in a beauty box as it's something I very rarely use. However, for fair testing and review means I tried this out and actually - I really like it! It's easy to use, nice and black and stays put!
 

 
3. Sleek - Face Contour Kit (Medium)
Excitement Score: 4/5
Performance Score: 4/5
I'm generally happy with most Sleek products (although I'm not a massive fan of their eye shadow palettes) so I'm pleased to see this contour kit. I was worried that this may be slightly on the dark side for me, but it actually was pretty good for my skin tone. The only thing I'm going to need to be careful is not to be too heavy-handed on application. This stuff is highly pigmented.

 
4. Skin Republic Bubble Purifying and Charcoal Face Sheet Mask
Excitement Score: 3/5
Performance Score: 5/5
After my initial curiosity about oxygenating bubble skincare products, the novelty value soon waned, when I found that sometimes the bubbling sensation was a bit too much and often left my skin feeling dry.
However, I tried this mask on a morning before a family event and I was actually pretty surprised with the end results. I didn't read the instructions first (which did actually say you needed to squeeze the packet before applying to activate the bubbling) but even without pre-packet-squeezing, this still bubbled up quite well (but not too over-bearing and uncomfortably bubbling). I loved how clean, fresh and healthy this left my skin looking.

 
5. This Works - In Transit Camera Closeup
Excitement Score: 0/5
Performance Score: 0/5
 
I've tried some of this all-in-one primer/moisturiser/mask before and really, really didn't like it. Will instantly pass this on.

 
6. Spotlight - Teeth Whitening Strips
Excitement Score: 4/5
Performance Score: 4/5
At first I thought this sturdy little box was some kind of makeup palette. But I was interested when I saw that it contained some teeth whitening strips.
I tried a couple of these strips this morning. You have to place a strip over your teeth, wait for an hour and then see an instant positive difference in the whiteness of your teeth. The strips didn't taste bad but I couldn't actually keep them on for the entire hour as I started to feel a little queasy because of the texture of the gum inside the tape. As I said, it's not that it tasted bad, but the longer you kept them in your mouth the more glue-y and gummy it started to feel and I didn't like the feeling of having some alien substance in my mouth. I kept them on for 45 minutes. After removing the strips my teeth were heavily covered in a very thick, glue-like gel. I cleaned my teeth (it took quite a good brushing to remove this thick gel) but then I was pretty surprised at how white my teeth looked afterwards! My top teeth looked brilliant, but on my lower teeth, I did have a couple of very white dots - which looked a bit odd!
A month's worth of strips would set you back almost £40, so not sure I'd buy a full size of these.
 
This has been the second box in a row that I've not been overly excited by. But saying that, the performance score on a lot of the products have out-done the excitement score.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Skincare Routine - May

Flower Beauty ~ Light Illusion Foundation ~ First Impressions

Thyme Out Review