Mini Make Up Haul

After my last Colourpop order arrived with a smashed pan I had a credit note to use up, so I chose the 'I Think I Love You' palette and a couple of pressed eye shadows in mini magnetic compacts.
You still have the pain of paying for Customs charges, but if you play it right with your order, it's still worthwhile even with the shipping and customs charge.
 
 
I absolutely love my 'Golden State of Mind' palette but the 'I Think I Love You' palette is far more useable as it's a mixture of buttery mattes and highly pigmented metallic shades.
 
 
From L-R (top to bottom):
Top Row: Bitter Better - soft metallic gold; Bel Air -matte cool taupe; Fancy Face - Bright metallic copper; Girl's Bite - Metallic golden bronze.
Middle Row: Howdy - Metallic red bronze; Rowdy - matte ivory; My Treat - Metallic champagne ivory; Level Up - Metallic bright penny copper.
Bottom Row: Screw it - Metallic rose gold; Let's Do it - matte black; Rule Breaker - Metallic bright yellow gold; My Type - matte saddle brown.


 
 

 
Note to self: Next time I make a Colourpop order I MUST buy an empty palette! These single eye shadow compacts are great but I have a few single pressed eye shadows that need to be kept somewhere.


 
 
 
I also picked up some REALLY REALLY budget make up this week.
I would usually steer clear from really cheap make up like this but from time to time I sometimes think 'Oh, it's worth a try for a quid'. Often, it's not even worth a try for a quid but these few pieces really surprised and impressed me.
 
First up is a palette that a couple of friends picked up and were pretty impressed with the quality of it versus the very low cost.

 
 
W7 is one of those brands that you see in bargain shops and I'd noticed it before but the snob in me just ignored it. This W7 'On the Rocks' palette is a shameless dupe of a well-known controversial palette that had a lot of bad press for it's poor quality. This was just £5 in 'Savers' (budget high street chemists).

 



Look at these swatches - not bad for a fiver! I'm loving teaming Pina Colada with Caracao - a bit bolder than I'd usually go but they blend really well, have good strong pigmentation and last pretty well too.

Cheaper still were these three products from Primark. Again, I wouldn't usually buy make up from Primark (although their beauty tools and accessories aren't too bad). But I was bored and browsing and spotted a couple of lipstick colours that I liked the look of. One of the lipsticks was 90p and the other was £1.50!! I really didn't expect that they would survive the first evening after getting them home and trying them out, but I'm seriously impressed!

 
 
The darker shade (which cost £1.50) smells and tastes HORRIBLE! Application is not great but I got round this by applying with a lip brush and after that, I loved the colour and it lasts reasonably well too. The lighter colour (90p) wears much more nicely and the colour is also spot on for my favourite L'Oreal 'Silencio' shade (hated the applicator and packaging on that one but loved the colour).


Because I have quite thick brows, I don't spend too much time or attention on them but had been thinking of buying a simple brow mascara like the Glossier 'Boy Brow' or the budget Essence brow mascara, which is under £3 but is always sold out when I go looking for it.
So when I saw this one for £1 in Primark I thought I'd risk trying it out.
Look at that colour! It's terrible (this is 'light brown') but actually when on the brows it actually works okay!! Obviously, I haven't tried another brow mascara so I could be very wrong, but it's certainly worth a quid, and I've been using it for the past couple of days without being at all disturbed about it!

I'm still on the fence about buying budget make up. Having it in your make up arsenal can sometimes feel like a bit of a dirty secret! Part of me wants to champion in but the other part of me just wants nice brand names and pretty packaging that is photogenic. (The curse of social media!!). Also on the financial side,  by the time you've bought several pieces of budget make up that may or may not be worth keeping and using, you find that you might have well forgone several shonky pieces to buy that one better quality piece that you get more use out of (and that you don't feel so ashamed of!).
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Skincare Routine - May

Flower Beauty ~ Light Illusion Foundation ~ First Impressions

Thyme Out Review