September Skincare Empties 2019

I'm really pleased with how this month has gone for empties - feels like a good end of Summer clear-out. I've finished off several samples and small sizes that I found loitering around (which I didn't know I had!) and finished off lots of products that had been around too long. I also did a bit of de-cluttering. Mainly on makeup items that I felt were a bit too sparkly for me - I'm definitely aiming towards subtle and more natural as I get older! 


Key
WR - Will repurchase or have already repurchased
MR - Might repurchase at a later date.
WNR - Will not repurchase. Either it didn't work for me, I didn't like it, it's too expensive or it had ingredients that didn't suit my skin.



Skincare

* Patyka - Spearmint Purifying Foaming Gel (WNR)
I picked up a couple of Patyka products when I spotted them in T.K Maxx a few months ago, and was pretty excited to try them out. Sadly, neither of them really grabbed me. This Spearmint Cleansing Gel was okay but generally unremarkable. The Spearmint scent was perhaps the biggest draw, nice and refreshing on my skin. But this just didn't feel like it was a cleansing gel that I could use every day. It ended up being relegated to the shower, which is where most facial washes that don't feel like solid everyday cleansers go

* Naturally Thinking - Peppermint Floral Water (WR)
This was the first time I've tried a Peppermint Floral Water but definitely won't be the last! This was the perfect summer hydrosol - so refreshing and cooling. I use these floral waters mostly as morning cleansers but also as facial mists and as mixers with clay masks.

* Ishtar Skinlights - Retinol Serum 2.5% (WR)
Gutted! I finished this up without any warning so had no back-up in place! 
Heck yes I'll be repurchasing! I use this every night and I absolutely love it.
Full review here.

* The Ordinary - EUK 134 0.1% (Expired WNR)
I give up! I just could never quite understand this serum - exactly what it was for, when to use it and if it actually made any difference to my skin. This was supposed to be one of my skincare choices for my 20/20 Vision Panning Project. In fact, it was the last skincare product left that I had to use up but it expired before I could finish it. Part of me is relieved that I no longer have to figure it out and part of me is sad that I didn't even get to finish the skincare side of the challenge (as I know I will fail with the makeup picks).
This will teach me to buy into the hype and purchase items that I don't even understand!!

* Green Keratin - Cactus + B5 Neck Elasticity Fluid (WR)
This is the only dedicated neck product that I would ever consider buying! I don't have too many issues with my neck at the moment but I certainly have prevention in mind as I get older. My decolletage always looks slightly more textured after summer exposure though and this goes some way in keeping that area hydrated, nourished and more even-textured.
My current plan is to use up all of my hydrating products containing HA on my neck and decolletage as I'm not enjoying the pilling it causes on my face. After I've finished up these products (and there's a fair amount stacked up!) I will definitely be returning to this fabulous product.
Read a full review here.

* Delune - Coconut & Rose Facial Mist (MR)
I received this in a Skin Organics Beauty Box some time ago. 
I had to look up the ingredients as they are no printed on the label. I was surprised to see Aloe in there as my skin can usually tell (in an unpleasant way) when Aloe is involved but thankfully, it didn't react badly to this facial mist.
It's a lovely mist with a beautiful rose scent (it doesn't have those slight vinegary undertones that some Rose Water products have). But at £18 for 100ml, it's a bit pricier than I expected and I'd probably choose a less expensive facial mist that gives me the same results.

* The Body Shop - Seaweed Oil-Balancing Toner (WR)
This was my second bottle of this particular Body Shop toner. I've liked all of the Body Shop toners that I've tried but I think this may be my favourite. I have a range of toners that I turn to - from the uber gentle flower waters, to toners (such as this) that are clarifying and slightly astringent to a stronger acid toner. I like having the choice depending how my skin feels on any given day. But saying that, I think my next choice for a Body Shop Toner will be a more hydrating one for the colder months - I'll probably go back to this next Spring.

* Dr Lipp - Original Nipple Balm (WNR)
This tiny 4ml tube took forever to use up! I really didn't like how incredibly thick and gloopy this was. I hated the feel of it on my lips so never wore it in that way. I ended up using this up on my eczema patch on my wrist (and I didn't notice a significant amount of help there either).

* Carita - Cleansing Milky Emulsion (WNR)
Although I'm not going to repurchase this, that doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy using this milky cleanser. I haven't bought a cream or milky cleanser for so long, any that I get usually come in Beauty Boxes - as was the case with this Carita cleanser. I much prefer a cleansing oil or balm as my first cleanser, as I just enjoy the experience more and also because they feel like they work harder to really give a good first cleanse. There's something about creams or milks that just doesn't feel as 'up for the job' as an oil-based cleanser, even though I don't really have any evidence for this.
This was quite an enjoyable cleanser to use - the smell was absolutely gorgeous - a gentle, almost tropical vanilla-coconut scent. It was gentle on my eyes (although I did need a separate cleanser to remove eye makeup completely) and soft and gentle on my skin. So I won't be buying this again - but I would like to try more from Carita as a brand.

* Clinique - Take The Day Off Makeup Remover (WNR)
I don't think I've bought a dedicated eye makeup remover for such a long time. I'll use them when they appear in Beauty Boxes (as this one did). But whenever I use them, I'm reminded that I don't buy them because, quite frankly, a cheapo micellar water will often do the job of removing eye makeup just as well, if not better.
I felt that with this makeup remover, however much I used, I still felt that it would 'drag' on my eyes - never a good feeling. 

* Naturally Radiant - Glycolic Overnight Peel (WNR)
Naturally Radiant from Superdrug is a fantastic budget brand with several great products in the range. Unfortunately, for me, the Glycolic Overnight Peel isn't one that I'll be repurchasing. It's a nice enough product - a lightweight gel that you use last thing at night as an overnight light acid exfoliation.
My problem was with fitting it into my night time skincare routine. It just didn't feel right or fit right as a last-step product.
If the results had been more obvious then I might have persevered, but there wasn't any hugely noticeable brightening effects - so I never really reached for this after an initial flurry of trying to fit it into my routine. I ended up using it on my legs - no obvious results there either!

* Elizavecca - Aqua HA Acid Water Drop Cream (WR)
My preferred day time moisturiser is always a water drop cream, particularly in the warmer months and they are so light and refreshing to water but also give me the right amount of hydration I need. 
It was good timing to finish this off mid-September. Although my skin is still in 'summer mode' I can switch to a light moisturiser from my stash before my skin needs something a little heavier.
I'll be repurchasing either this or something very similar next Spring as I don't currently have anything similar in my stash.

* Evolve Beauty - Radiant Glow Mask (WR)
Gorgeous chocolatey face mask which gives a gentle exfoliation on removal. I'm always a fan of ready-made masks. This is one of my favourites. But I do need to work through some more before repurchasing. Great little glass jar that is easy to reuse or recycle.

* Indie Lee - Rosehip Cleanser (WR)
I had wanted to try Indie Lee for so long and recently got the chance to thanks to the Naturismo Vegan Discovery box. This small 15ml tube lasted a couple of weeks.
I loved everything about this cleanser - the scent, the texture, that it didn't irritate my eyes and left my skin clean, soft and bright. Will definitely be repurchasing this in the near future. I also want to try more from Indie Lee.

Hair/ Body

* Ingenious Beauty - Ultimate Collagen Capsules (WR)
Gutted that I've finished these without having a replacement back-up bottle in place!
I think this was my fourth bottle of these amazing collagen supplements and if money were no object then I would ensure that I always had a supply. I notice a dramatic difference in my nail growth and slow-down of hair loss when taking these and I'm pretty sure (but can't quantify) other beneficial results too - better sleep, healthier skin etc.
Read my review here.

* Zenon Kition - Essential Bliss Conditioner (WR) *PR
I never finish shampoos and conditioners at the same time! I prefer using them as a set, but I always get through the shampoo first. This pair were my first real foray into choosing a more natural approach to hair care and what a fantastic introduction!
I reviewed both the Essential Bliss Shampoo and Conditioner here.
I will be re-purchasing both the shampoo and conditioner after I've gotten through a few more products that i amassed in my quest to find some natural products which worked for me. Most haven't been anywhere ear as successful as the Zenon Kition. 

* Bramley - Body Wash (WNR)
A nice enough body wash with good foaming properties and a lovely scent.
Was very happy to use this after receiving it in a beauty box, but would probably choose to buy others over this.

* The Ilex Wood - Dandelion & Rosemary Salve (MR)
I think I may have been expecting a little too much from this salve after initially buying it to ease my sciatica. It didn't really help much with that level of discomfort and sadly, I've not noticed that it helps much with other generalised aches. But it's still a nice salve - maybe I should just use it as I would a general multi-purpose balm.

* Broccoli Seed Oil (WR)
Absolutely love this oil!
For some reason, I bought several 10ml bottles of carrier oils, thinking that I may make up my own oil concoctions. My vast collection of facial oils soon scuppered that idea, so I was left with all these mini bottles of oils that just weren't getting used. 
In order to use them up before they expire, I've been using them on my body. The Broccoli Seed Oil has been my favourite so far. It's quite a rich oil but not so heavy that it doesn't absorb well. I love the scent too - it's a very 'green' scent and one that I've been really enjoying. This is definitely a future repurchase to use as a body oil, after I've finished up the other carrier oils I've collected.

* Inner Senses - Awakening Meditative Body Oil (MR)
I was really happy to see this in a recent Skin Organics Beauty Box as I've been really wanting to try something from Inner Senses. However, I ended up jealously guarding this as I didn't want to finish it too quickly and knew that I wouldn't be repurchasing too soon because of my already over-loaded stash. The wait was worth it, it's a beautiful body oil, but sadly, due to the size, the experience was over far too quickly.

* Percy & Reed - No Oil Oil (WNR)
I only managed to tolerate this till the end of the bottle as I hate waste!
I perhaps didn't use this 'Smoothed, Sealed & Sensational Volumising No Oil Oil' in the way it was designed to be used as I don't heat dry or style my hair. I used it instead as a de-tangler after washing my hair. It wasn't particularly successful at doing that.
It always left crispy strands of hair. I'm glad it's finally used up.

* Boho Fresh Handmade Cosmetics - Date Night Body Wash Sample (WR)
This little sample pot of the matching Date Night Body Wash to accompany my Date Night Body Butter was a lovely surprise. I've never tried a body wash which has a similar consistency to a body butter before and I liked it a lot! It was best to scoop some of this out and pop it onto a shower net to avoid it slipping away down the plug hole. Lovely scent and a nice gentle and non-stripping foam. Will definitely be back for more.

* Nuxe - Huile Prodigeuse (Original & Floral) (MR)
These mini sizes are a stalwart in beauty boxes so I haven't needed to buy a full size for quite some time! I have periods when I absolutely go crazy for this scent and other times when I find it a bit overwhelming. But after trying out the new 'Floral' version, I fell back in love with the scent and if I do buy this - I'll definitely be opting for the Floral version. 

* Philip Kingsley - Elasticizer (MR)
My hair care routine generally just consists of a shampoo & conditioner and I very rarely remember to use a deep conditioning treatment or hair mask. 
I think if I'd ever found one that manages to actually leaving my hair super glossy, healthy and without too my product residue then I'd probably use one more regularly.
Elasticizer is one of the better treatments I've tried but I'm always still slightly disappointed that it's not as magic as it promises. My hair always end up feeling a bit too laden with residue but still dry on the ends. Maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance and if I used it regularly then I may see more of a difference. Maybe...if I remember!


Samples

* Annemarie Gianni Samples from Live in the Light

Phytonutrient Cleanser (WNR) - I was able to get one generous use from this sample. I used it as a mask on dry skin before rinsing off. However (and my fault entirely) it did slightly tingle - probably because Aloe was the first ingredient, so I didn't leave it on for too long before washing off. I can't deny it's cleansing power - my skin looked and felt incredibly clean and bright and my complexion was even-toned and looked great. However, I didn't feel that this was one to remove eye makeup as the essential oils in this did make my eyes smart just from being on my face (and nowhere near my eyes). So, this just wasn't suitable for my skin. It's pretty pricey too - £67.50 for 100ml, so I wouldn't spend that on a cleanser even if it did work for me.
I followed up with a second cleanse using the Citrus Mint Cleanser (WNR). Yowsers! I don't think I've ever tried a product with such an intense scent! Now I really like scented products and I'm not even averse to quite heavily scented products. But the over-bearing scent in this cleanser was like a really strong menthol sinus decongestant! It was so incredibly strong and over-whelming - again, really making my eyes water. Effective as a cleanser and bizarrely, as a one-off use, there was something actually quite punishingly satisfying about it! But I couldn't begin to think about using this as a regular cleanser, it was just too much. Again, very pricey at £46.50 for 100ml.
The Rosemary Toning Mist (WNR) is certainly an invigorating mist to use in my morning routine, it's herbal ingredients are fresh, zingy and stimulating. But alas for me, I think Aloe is quite strong in the ingredients and I couldn't work out if it was the Aloe that was zinging my skin or the other herbal extracts.

Annemarie Gianni do use some incredibly beautiful ingredients in their formulations, but unfortunately for me, Aloe Vera features quite heavily, making the products mostly unsuitable for my skin. It's a clean sweep of 'Will not repurchase' from me - but that's mainly due to the Aloe inclusion, but also the high prices. This makes this range too far out of my budget.

* Alexa Sky Botanicals - Beauty Balm (MR)
Lovely lavender scented cleansing balm. Nice and buttery texture and does a great job of removing all makeup and SPF. This is suitable for use on the eyes and removes all of my makeup without any irritation and doesn't leave my eyes feeling blurry.
It's a non-emulsifying balm, which is fine with me as I always use a wash cloth to remove my first cleansers anyway, but I think I marginally prefer emulsifying balms.

* Love Absolute - Naked Rose Nutrition Cream (WNR) *PR
Although I could appreciate that this was an absolutely stunning face cream with some stellar ingredients, this was sadly not for me. I just found it too heavy for my skin. I tried to use it in a number way of ways - using less, using as a night mask, mixing it with a facial oil - but unfortunately it just never settled well with my routines.

* D'Alchemy - Neck & Decolletage Wrinkle Refill (WNR)
I actually bought this sample from Love Lula, not so much because I was on the look out for a neck or decolletage product but more because I wanted to try something from D'Alchemy. This was a gorgeous product, so did give me some idea of what you could expect from a D'Alchemy product. But, I wouldn't repurchase this particular product as I'm quite convinced that I can use non-specific (and cheaper) products for that area of my body and pretty much come up with the same results. 

* Green People - Damask Rose Facial Oil (WNR)
I usually have success with most facial oils, but for some reason this one just didn't sit well on my skin. It has a gorgeous rose scent, but was ultimately quite a heavy oil which didn't absorb well and left me with a heavy and greasy skin in the morning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Skincare Routine - May

Flower Beauty ~ Light Illusion Foundation ~ First Impressions

Thyme Out Review