Facial Steaming ~ Yay or Nay?

Recently I had a little consumer-related battle with my 'other self'. I'd like to think that the dominant shopping personality within me is the savvy, money-saving, only-buy-if-you-need-it, wise one. But I think that my shopping history (and every page in this blog) shows that I am constantly fighting the 'buy it - it's pretty' personality that lurks just beneath, popping it's head up just at the wrong time (low on funds, trying to finish something else up, trying to ignore what everyone else has...)
 
The responsible side of me has a wish-list, it looks for the best deals, it tries to fight FOMO, it weighs up if a product is actually suitable for me, if it will work well, if there's space for it in my current routine.
 
It's a battle of sensible versus sparkly, basically!
 
You can see where I'm going with this preamble, can't you?
Yes, I bought something because it was so unbelievably pretty and I just wanted it. Right now.
 
 
Can you blame me though?
 
Southsea Bathing Hut - Botanical Facial Steam
£6.00 (Tin 12ml/ Net weight of contents 8g) BUY HERE
 
Presented beautifully in a little round tin with a clear lid to see the pretty, colourful botanical mix inside, this product contains chamomile (to soothe), lavender (to deep cleanse), Rose (to purify) and Marigold (to repair).
 
Before I get on to the review, let us first ponder the wisdom of facial steaming.
 
This is something I first used to do in my teens (we're going way back to the 1980s here) when I got hold of my mum's Pifco Facial Sauna. Back in the day my absolute beauty bible was the Vogue Book of Natural Beauty. I was a huge fan of making my own skincare from natural ingredients (most of which could only be bought from Health Shops - this was pre-internet days). So, the above product is very similar to what I'd add to my Pifco facial sauna - it just wasn't presented as prettily!
 
Once a week I would steam my face and then have a marathon black-head squeezing session (eww, sorry - tmi!).
The principle of facial steaming has not changed since those days - basically, you can expect a very deep-cleanse. The steam will loosen your pores and all the gunk that collects will come out. My older self of course knows now that the squeezing was baaad! Don't squeeze. If you do it right, you won't need to squeeze.
 
So why I am I even bringing doubt into this - a good deep-cleansing of the pores can only be a positive thing, right?
 
Not necessarily. Proper skincare people who really actually know their stuff are generally in two minds about whether or not facial steaming is good for your skin.
 
The Pros
1. It loosens the pores and removes the build up of dirt and contaminants.
2. The heat makes you sweat which further flushes out the gunk.
3. Your skin is then better prepared to receive further skincare treatments such as serums, retinol etc.
 
The Cons
1. The heat causes dilation of your blood vessels which causes inflammation and redness. This is why facial steaming is not recommended for those who are prone to rosacea.
2. It can lead to stripping your skins natural oils. So not great for dry skin either.
 
I knew all of this before the purchase. I have combination-oily skin but I don't particularly suffer from blemishes. What I do have issues with is that I have broken capillaries on my skin. And whilst it's not rosacea - it's a condition that doesn't take well to facial steaming.
And that's why I'm personally ambivalent about facial steaming.
 
If you're going to do it - do it right!
That said, my compulsion to buy this product means that I need to actually use it! So I'm taking it easily.
* First rule of facial steam club - do it only a maximum of once a week (I'm going to err on the side of caution and do it once a fortnight).
* It's recommended that you steam for no more than 10 minutes. I'd had enough after about six minutes - that was plenty enough for me.
 
Step-By-Step guide for a successful and safe facial steam
 
1. Pre-steam preparation - I will double-cleanse (p.m) or cleanse as per my usual a.m routine.
 However, after cleansing I will then apply a good hydrating product such as Hada Labo Gokujyun Premium Lotion.
2. You will need: A ceramic or glass bowl; a towel; freshly boiled water (let it settle for a couple of minutes so you don't get burned).
3. Take a couple of pinches of the botanical mix and add to the water.
 
The water doesn't turn yellow! That's an amber coloured bowl I'm using!
 
4. With the towel over your head and your face just above the steaming water, make a tent with the towel, inhale the scents, breathe deeply (it's good for your sinuses). Set a timer for a maximum of ten minutes, but if, like me, you feel good and sweaty earlier, stop when it feels right for you.
5. I personally like to wipe off after a facial steam with a cold flannel. This immediately cools me down and wipes away any of the gunk that has been loosened from deep within. I follow this with a splash of cold water to cool down further and to close up the previously opened pores.
6. Optional step ~ mask with a hydrating wash-off or sheet mask. Because you've opened your pores with the facial steam - product that you use straight after will be (should be) more effective.
 
 
7. Follow on with a gentle toner or floral water and then your usual skincare. If your face is feeling sensitive - don't go for any acids or actives. Stick to a gentle, soothing and hydrating routine.  
8. When the water you used for your facial steam has completely cooled down, drain the petals and use the remaining botanic-infused water as a tonic. Can be kept in the fridge for up to four days. I use an old Pyunkang Yul mist bottle to store mine.
 
 
 
Final Thoughts
Despite some initial trepidation, I've been really enjoying this botanical facial steam. Results after the steam are immediate - my face is uber clean, pores are flushed, skin is happy despite the extreme temperature. I haven't suffered any irritation or extra redness after steaming (after following up with a hydrating, gentle and soothing skincare routine).
But as well as the beneficial results, I am also enjoying the self-care aspect. Deep breathing during the steam gives you time to yourself, time to just be in the moment and a respite from an ever-racing mind!
So, yeah it's pretty and looks good in a shelfie but this ritual also calms the mind and forces you to wind down and relax. You absolutely cannot multi-task when facial steaming - even if you wanted to!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Skincare Routine - May

Flower Beauty ~ Light Illusion Foundation ~ First Impressions

Thyme Out Review