Mid-Year Skinventory

Every six months on Instagram, there is a monthly challenge where you photograph your entire skincare stash (a day for each category). And I have been partaking, because it's a great way to account for what you actually have to use up and helps to put the brakes on unnecessary spending and (hopefully) impulse buys!
 
Since doing the first challenge of the year back in January, I've definitely been a lot more conscious about what I'm buying and have only replaced items rather than bought extras. Obviously, I've been no angel and there have been a couple of impulse buys (plus all the items from Beauty Boxes and review items). But generally, I've been quite pleased with my progress in using up my stash first before buying more.
 
One major thing it has taught me is that I'm now having to pay for all those impulse buys that I made in the past couple of years as my skincare routine often includes items that I'm not particularly fond of and just need to use up. I'd like to get to the point where everything I use is a joy, rather than a chore. I'd like a much more refined skincare stash filled only with items that I love!
 
So, here's where I'm at mid year:
 
First Cleansers - Oils/Balms/Creams/Micellar Water
 
 
I think the first cleanse is my favourite step. I prefer balms and oils to cream cleansers. My absolute favourite is the Elemis Pro-Cleansing Balm.
I've also found that I don't necessarily need a separate eye make remover as a good micellar water (Garnier) does the job just as well.
 
Second Cleansers - Gels/Foams
 
 
This is a much more manageable stash! I'm aiming to have three full size cleansers at any one time. I love the Cerave cleanser and would like to add Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser too. I'd also really, really love to try Samuel Jordan - The After Show Cleanser, but so far, added customs fees have put me off!
 
Exfoliators
 
 
This is a section that takes me ages to get through as I only physically exfoliate no more than twice a week. I prefer a glycolic toner. Out of these, I much prefer the enzymes and peels as they are a much more gentle way to exfoliate. Since taking this picture I de-cluttered the Lancer Polish (much too harsh). My favourite of these is the Elemis Papaya Enzyme Peel.
 
Wash-Off Masks
 
 
This is another section that generally gets topped up from Beauty Boxes (masks make quite regular appearances in boxes). I did buy the Milk Makeup mask when I saw it in T.K Maxx a couple of months ago. My two favourites are the Oskia Renaissance mask and the Filorga Meso Mask, which are both minis, but I would repurchase both of those full size.
 
Toners/Mists/Lotions and Essences
 
 
 
Another favourite category! I love how toners do different jobs. My favourite are the hydrating toners, however, I've been finding that The Body Shop Vitamin E toner is so hydrating that it takes a while to absorb - so it's not ideal for the seven step as it's a bit too much!
I'm still slightly confused about the essence/lotion difference. But the Dr Andrew Weil for Origins Mega Mushroom Skin Relief Toner is just amazing!
 
Acids/Actives and Treatments
 
 
I'm always a bit confused as to what should be counted in this category! I've included my glycolic toners in this section. But I haven't included my anti-oxidants. As well as acid toners, I use Vitamin C and Retinol alternated a few times a week. I'd like to use Vitamin C in the morning but my Hero Project Vit C-30 is a bit too oily for under makeup. I love this stuff but after I've used it I might try and find a similar product that sits well under makeup.
 
Serums
 
 
Quite a lot here - and there's several minis I haven't included in this picture. I included my anti-oxidants in this section (The Ordinary Resveratrol + Ferulic Acid and the EUK 134). I've also included my Niacinamides and others that possibly belong in the 'Treatments' category. The Scinic Vitamin C 100 was an impulse buy this year and unfortunately, it hasn't been as great as I had hoped for. I'm finding it hard to incorporate into a routine as it's quite sticky and doesn't absorb too well.
 
Eye Care
 
 
I've got quite a lot of opened eye care products as I've been having to rotate them in my routines every couple of weeks because some seem to hit a plateau of effectiveness after two weeks. The La Roche Posay Redermic R is the exception - I've been happily using this continuously for over a month now and it's still delivering great results.

Facial Oil


 
Probably the slowest-moving category as you use so little at a time!
The top picture shows the branded oils and the bottom picture are the oils that I use when making up my own blends.

Moisturisers


This is the most overwhelming category for me! I haven't even photographed the minis and sample sachets!
At this rate, I won't have to buy a new moisturiser for about 18 months. However, after taking this picture I was able to de-clutter three of these as  I noticed they were expired. I also finished up the TonyMoly Chok Chok Green Tea Watery Cream and I'm currently using up some samples and minis before I open another full size moisturiser.

Sunscreen

 
This is much more like it! Just three products. And since I'm more than happy with the Biore UV Aqua Rich sunscreen - this section will stay this minimal.

Sleeping Packs

 
Only two full size sleeping packs in this section. I also have a couple of samples for travelling too. The Crème Shop Hyaluronic Acid Sleeping Gel was an impulse buy when I was staying away one time but I don't remember it being too impressive. The Body Shop Vitamin E Sleeping mask is unopened.
 
 
 
And that's it for the skincare section!
Soon, it's time for the makeup inventory - which is a lot bigger!
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Skincare Routine - May

Flower Beauty ~ Light Illusion Foundation ~ First Impressions

Thyme Out Review