Sulwhasoo First Care Activating Serum EX ~ Review

Sulwhasoo First Care Activating Serum EX
 
Source


It wasn't too long into my skincare discovery journey that I came across the name Sulwhasoo and in particular, this product, the First Care Activating Serum EX would pop up consistently on people's feeds.
So whenever a product was so constantly raved about, I would immediately go and check out where to buy and of course, the price.
And, oh dear, Sulwhasoo is one of the more higher-end brands in the game and that pretty much put the brakes on immediately for me.

Korean brand Sulwhasoo have been around since 1966 when brand originator, Suh Sung-Whan introduced ABC Ginseng cream to the market. Sulwhasoo draw from ancient Korean herbal medicine, and in particular Ginseng (Korea's signature plant) and have become deservedly well-known and revered for their use of holistic and ancient herbal ingredients mixed with modern scientific skincare innovation.

Pictured above is what the product looks like. It retails for around the £70 mark for a 60ml bottle!
Pictured below, is what my Sulwhasoo FCAS looks like, as I found a way to be able to buy, own and enjoy this product without the hefty price tag.


While not as satisfying to own or show off(!), I can buy 10 x 4ml (40ml) samples from the ebay seller asiaholic for around £8.00! There are plenty of reputable sellers selling these samples on ebay, so this is a great way to own this product at an affordable price.

I use this twice a day and one of these tiny 4ml samples lasts me for just over a week.

Product claims (from Sulwhasoo website):

Achieve skin’s perfect balance with the best-selling product from the #1 premium skincare line in Korea. The first of boosting serums, Sulwhasoo’s signature First Care Activating Serum EX has been improved to better optimize the results of your skincare regimen for youthful, resilient skin. Now, discover the power of holistic skincare that merges ancient herbal wisdom with the advancements of modern science.

  • Milkvetch promotes natural skin circulation
  • Dwarf Lilyturf and Licorice boost synergy among herbal extracts to restore skin's healthy radiance
  • Replenishes essential moisture and nutrients

Ingredients:
Ophiopogon japonicus root extract, water, glycyrrhiza uralensis (licorice) root extract, butylene glycol, alcohol, betaine, glycerin, camellia sinensis leaf extract, paeonia albiflora root extract, nelumbo nucifera flower extract, polygonatum officinale rhizome root extract, lilium candidum bulb extract, rehmannia glutinosa root extract, honey, juglans regia (walnut) seed extract, portulaca oleracea extract, zizyphus jujuba fruit extract, biosaccharide gum-1, natto gum, PEG/PPG-17/6 copolymer, glyceryl polymethacrylate, Bis-PEG-18 methyl ether dimethyl silane, carbomer, PEG-60 hydrogenated castor oil, dextrin, theobroma cacao (cocoa) extract, xanthan gum, ethylhexylglycerin, chondrus crispus (carrageenan), phenyl trimethicone, hydrogenated lecithin, propylene glycol, tromethamine, disodium EDTA, phenoxyethanol, fragrance,

You might notice that the first two ingredients are actually botanicals. Ophiopogon Japonicus root extract is used in skincare for moisturising and Glycyrrhiza uralensis (licorice) root extract is great for brightening and as an anti-inflammatory agent.

Texture and scent:
 


A rich and runny gorgeous amber liquid with the most amazing spicy hanbang scent (which apparently is a key scent of all Sulwhasoo products). This is a real dream of a product just to smell and apply!

When and how to use:
Sulwhasoo suggest using this after cleansing. I use both morning and night after cleansing and after toning as a 'pre-serum' serum. As the product is meant to boost any other products that follow, this seems like the best place for it to fit in my routine.



① Pump First Care Activating Serum 2-3 times, and apply to thoroughly cleansed skin. Help skin absorb products by gently massaging cheeks in circular motion with fingers.
② Using middle fingers and ring fingers, massage smile lines and around the nose, avoiding eye area.
③ Using all fingers, massage forehead cross diagonally 3 times.
④ Starting from mouth area, gently massage towards above, following the jaw line.

Thoughts:
I've been using this for about three months every day and I can't pinpoint exactly what the results are from using this product!

But here's what I do know:
I know that using it after an astringent or exfoliating toner definitely helps soothes and soften my skin. Were I to stop at the First Care Activating Serum and not use any other essences or serums I don't think my skin would feel hydrated enough just using this alone (even with a moisturiser).
I know that I really enjoy using it for the scent and sensation and would miss this step. The only step in my routine I enjoy more is an oil or balm cleanse and a sheet mask purely for the feel-good factor. The smell and texture of this fcas is truly luxurious and whilst of course, results should be of paramount importance, the experience when using skincare is high up on my list of priorities too.
Because I will always use a treatment, mask, oil, essence or serum after using the fcas, I don't know if it's one product, or the combination of all that make my skin look brighter and give me that all important glow.
Were I to have spent £70 on this product, would I feel the result justified the cost? Not so sure about that, but since I'm not paying the full price then it's certainly a product on my 'forever' list. I just love everything about it (at a price, obvs!).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Skincare Routine - May

Flower Beauty ~ Light Illusion Foundation ~ First Impressions

Thyme Out Review